Wednesday, December 19, 2012

How to (Correctly) Break in Heels!


What is the one problem that every female who wears heels has?  (No, it's not what the next pair she should buy is!)  It's how to make them wearable!


It is the most tragic of tales... girl sees shoe, falls in love with shoe, wears shoe once, gets horrible blisters, and the shoe sits in the closet never to be worn again.  

Annoyed by this cycle one too many times I determined that for my Christian Louboutin graduation heels this would NOT be the case.  I also decided that I would not be in pain the day of graduation and that I would correctly break in my heels so they would be ready for me to wear on my big day.  

When I began to break in my heels I did what anyone would do- I went to Google for help.  I found a couple of sites that gave me tips, but there did not seem to be a step-by-step process for breaking heels in.  I decided to make my own step-by-step process and hope you find it helpful... Let me know if you have any other secrets that should be here!   

Step 1:  Wear Your Heels With Socks Whenever Possible.   

I wore my heels with socks for 3 days and it was incredibly helpful.  The socks help break in the leather and get the shoes accustomed to your foot's shape while preventing painful blisters from forming.  Make sure you are wearing cotton socks that are not too thick or too thin.  (Too thick of socks will stretch out your heels too much, and too thin of socks will do nothing.)  

It is important to spend time walking around in your sock/heel ensamble, but it is ok to sit in them as well.  Sitting helps your foot get used to the arch and helps stretch the sides of the shoes out.

To make walking in your heels easier "rough up" the bottom of the toe box.  You can use sandpaper to do this, or you can buy non slip pads that stick to your heel.  I used stickies because I couldn't bear to hurt my red soles.  

Non-slip pads to make walking easier
I took this step a step further (haha) and decided to walk on an inside track with my heels.  I walked 1/2 mile in my heels and socks and attribute the readiness of my heels to this process.  The track was rubber and made walking easier which helped me get used to walking in the heels-meanwhile breaking them in hardcore.  I don't have a picture of me walking on the track because no one would come with me to take a picture, but I do have a picture of one of my feet after.  (OWIE)

My foot after walking 1/2 mile in my heels and socks. Owie. 
Walking in your heels this much WILL hurt but it DOES help!  Basically the more you wear your heels, the better they will be broken in. (I know we've heard it before but it is the best advice.) Wear your heels with socks as much as possible to make the experience less painful.    






Step 2: Stretch Your Shoes Out. 

I have this as Step 2 and not Step 1 because I think it is important for you to know where your shoes are painful before you stretch them out with a tool.  (It would be awful to do it first and overstretch your shoes!) 

For this step I purchased my own stretcher from +Zappos.com but you can always get your shoes stretched at the store you bought them from.  ( +Nordstrom, Inc is especially good at offering this free service.)  I HIGHLY recommend buying the following stretcher from Zappos, especially if you wear heels often.  
This specific stretcher is the Foot Petals Stiletto Stretcher sold for $29.95 (+ free shipping) from Zappos.  It comes with little plastic bumps to put where your toes are however I'm using it without them.  

I used the stretcher to stretch out the sides and toe box of my heels. I left the stretcher in each heel overnight and felt a significant difference the next day.  I am SO happy with this product.  
Make sure the stretcher is pushed all the way into the toe box!
Use the crank to widen the block to stretch your heels. 


If you dont want to buy the product, like I mentioned before, you can have your shoes stretched.  Make sure to tell the person to stretch them in increments  as you don't want overstretched shoes. When you go to someone else they do not usually keep your shoes overnight, they do it while you wait in the store.  
(It only takes 5 minutes.)   

Step 3: Wear Your Heels With Moleskin.

It is time to take off the socks!  After stretching your heels and walking in them with socks the heels should be pretty well stretched out.  Wearing the heels with moleskin helps get your bare foot used to the heel while preventing blisters in the spots that continue to rub.

What is moleskin?  Moleskin is very similar to a bandaid, however it comes in large sheets and you can cut it in whatever shape you like.  There is a sticky side that you stick to your skin and it stays incredibly well.  (Do NOT stick it to your shoe as a "permanent" solution... it WILL rub off and leave a sticky mess on your shoe.  Trust me, I've done it.) Here is a picture of what moleskin looks like in the store- I shopped at +Walgreens but you should be able to find it anywhere. 

 Below are pictures of the moleskin on my feet and then how they look in the heels. If you are not concerned about how it looks, you can continue to wear the moleskin to protect your feet when you are wearing your heels normally. This prevents blisters and makes heels so much more comfortable. (Secret- I do this ALL the time. Shhhh!)










Step 4: Wear Your Heels! 

Your heels should now be good-to-go for day-to-day wear!  If you are still feeling them pinch repeat the steps focusing on whichever step seemed to work the best for you.  

I will continue to research and try new ways to break in heels and I promise to share any secrets I find.  In the meantime please post any secrets you have and give me feedback on any of mine!  

Follow me on Twitter at @amandamclernon for more pictures, information, and random tweets about shoes, stilettos, and heels! 


31 comments:

  1. Hello! I just got a pair of leather heels that were awful to my feet. I stretched them out by wearing socks while i wore my shoes and using a hair dryer to heat up the tightest areas while i wiggled my toes. It makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a great read - thanks so much for the step by step. Wish me luck breaking in these dancing shoes for my BFF's wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much useful tips have been posted, thanks for sharing an advisable content. It will surely be helpful for all ladies who use to wear high heels. I have the same problem as you have discussed in the post. So, i always use moleskin or bandaid type material while wearing my stiletto heels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making tamales can be a simple process that you can do at home with usual kitchen equipment and ingredients from the grocer. These traditional Mesoamerican delicacies include a variety of ingredients other than just corn starch dough, but you need to know how to mix everything right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This. πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌ

      Delete
  5. I always wear socks with heels and i have this one problem which is it is always slippery in the inside of the heels. Making me to put more pressure on my toe when i walk. I hurts like hell. Do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your feet are slipping around inside the shoe with socks on then the shoe is probably too large of a fit. At drug stores they sell pads for the balls of your feet that you can put in your shoes to make them less painful.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for this post, your honesty and the pictures. I'm not much of a heels person ... so seeing this... really hit home. (I'm wearing my socks right now in my new heels).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good tips but I don't know about those moleskins. They are not cute and if I was rocking a pair of Louboutin I wouldn't want to ruin their look by putting those things on my feet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good tips but I don't know about those moleskins. They are not cute and if I was rocking a pair of Louboutin I wouldn't want to ruin their look by putting those things on my feet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing this blog. I want to learn more from you because I am interested on your posts. I hope soon you can post here how we can choose used shoes.

    If you want to learn about second hand shoes, just visit this site: http://www.boex.org/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog is very well written and I appreciate your efforts. Visit our site for gathering more information about trendy footwear in different style. http://www.shopjessicabuurman.com/shoes-high-heels_c258

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go to the online store of clouboutinsneakers.com and choose the shoes with discount and reasonable price for free shipping and no tax!
    Christian Louboutin Black patent leather 120 Pigalle pumps
    Christian Louboutin 12CM Nude Patent Pointed Pumps
    Christian Louboutin 12CM Red Patent Pointed Pumps

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are those authentic? If you don't mind me asking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a bunch for posting. I gota new pair of heels for the deb on the 21st and have been wearing them with socks (i also geel ball inersole), i had deb drance practise last night and oh boy did my feet hurt.

    I also have a flat right foot and the arch hurts if I don't have enough surport or the shows are new so I'm going to have to fix that. How dozi stop them from hurting without the shocks on?

    I will probably end up wearing toeless stocking (appearently you can get those) since the back of the shoe goes down too low on my heel and keeps falling down (thats the design of the shoe).

    We have a cobbler here and I asked if he could put something over the top of my ankle to stop the strap at the back from falling down. I might get some of the sticky bottoms that you put on the bottom of your shoes to help with grip cause I have to twerl and it isn't that steady at the moment.

    This is a really long comment but of well. Can anyone help with these problems?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful article! We are linking to this great post on our site. Keep up the good writing.
    comfortable pumps

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is good i really like it thanks for sharing such a nice post i was searching for the women's custom leather shoes and i got your blog thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Much useful tips have posted. It is helpful for all ladies who use to wear high heels. I have the same problem as you have discussed in the post. So, I always use moleskin or bandaid type material while wearing my nine west shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can also cut moleskin to size and place it in/on the shoe (instead of your foot) to help with problem areas. For instance, new leather shoes always rub the back of my heel so I cut a piece of moleskin and stick it to the rear heel area. You can do this for straps as well, just cut the moleskin to size so it is not visible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. True story: I just purchased my first (and likely last) pair of Louboutin's for my graduation next week! Very helpful tips bc although the shoe is beautiful, they aren't the most comfortable. Like minds!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks to share nice post.!! women's shoes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this step by step procedure of how to deal these high heels shoes, I will definitely give it a try. :)

    Flat Leather Cloud Walker

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting topic for a blog. I have been searching the Internet for fun and came upon your website. Fabulous post. Thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge! It is great to see that some people still put in an effort into managing their websites. I'll be sure to check back again real soon.
    leather shoes for women

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a nice information and post. Thanks a lot to share a amazing post.
    Ladies Shoe Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fantastic article you write up. These tips really very useful in your post. Thank you so much for sharing this post. Ladies Shoe Manufacturers we also providing best shoes services.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Dear,

    I like Your Blog Very Much..I see Daily Your Blog ,is A Very Useful For me.

    Select from wide range of trending and beautiful "Cheap ladies High heel in Johannesburg" at Smallprice.co.za. ✓Top brands ✓Best offers.

    Visit Here - https://smallprice.co.za/product/3-inch-high-heel/

    ReplyDelete

  25. One of my best buddies recommended this website and I owe it to her. She helped me to find this nice website. I appreciate your nice work. Keep continuing helping others. I will refer this site to other people like my best buddy. Thanks.
    Hug & blesses!
    Click this post to read more.

    ReplyDelete

  26. One of my best buddies recommended this website and I owe it to her. She helped me to find this nice website. I appreciate your nice work. Keep continuing helping others. I will refer this site to other people like my best buddy. Thanks.
    Hug & blesses!
    Click this post to read more.

    ReplyDelete